"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Illini @ Wrigley!

Today is a very special day.  My two favorite sports teams, unite.  The University of Illinois, Fighting Illini are playing football against Northwestern at ... here's the best part ... Wrigley Field!!  An even better part is that as I sit this, watching the game, the score is currently Illinois 34 to Northwestern 24, with only 1:44 left in the 3rd quarter. Woooooohooooooooo!  An Illini victory at Wrigley - wow.  This is amazing!! (I'm aware, it's a little early to be celebrating, but I've got faith.)

To prepare, they actually painted the famous "Wrigley Field" sign PURPLE!!  Ew.  Now, I know Northwestern is technically located a lot closer to the ballpark than Illinois, but come on.  There are a lot of Illini fans in Chicago!  Never-the-less, the Wrigley sign, is purple today.
Here is the sign normally...

And now, the awful (but thankfully temporary) change.


Paula lives about two blocks from Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs!!  She got to go to the game today and at about 4:00, I got this picture sent to me, via text...
Wow...Its packed!!  I'm so jealous that she got to go!

The last time anyone played football at Wrigley, it was 1970, just before the Bears switched to Soldier Field.  This is the first collegiate football game at Wrigley since 1938 when DePaul University used to play there.  All in all, this is a pretty special day.  Hopefully they won't wait another 70 years before playing another collegiate game and I will get to see one in person...hopefully.

Either way, it has been so much fun today watching my favorite Chicago attraction all over the TV.  Its even better that Illinois will most likely win (its 41-24 right now!!).  I will, however, be making sure to do a drive-by next time I'm in town to ensure that the trademark sign has changed back to the beautiful RED I know and love.

Maybe, just maybe, the Illini's win will turn the Cubs luck around...you never know...they're due for a winning season :).

FINAL SCORE:  Illinois 48, Northwestern 27 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And that makes us bowl eligible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Corey said...

Wow! We watched this but had no idea your sister was that close, or that you knew so much about it. Great blog :)