"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Friday, January 7, 2011

Quonochontaug

I had a lot of questions about my # 5 Resolution, "To get myself to Quonnie" from this post, so I figured I'd give you all a little insight into my favorite place in the entire world.


This is a little stretch of beach in Rhode Island.  My family first started going there for the summers a long time ago.  I'd have to ask my mom the specifics, but there is a lot of family history there.  I know that the first cottage was destroyed in the 1938 hurricane, but they rebuilt, so we still get a chance to have it.


Basically, it is a family cottage on the beach that I have been going to my entire life.  My mother spent summers there most of her life as well.  The cottage has been added onto over the years and updated as time went by.  It sleeps 9, so we can get lots of family members together at once.  However, if you are thinking that we have a huge fancy beach house, that is not the case.  But don't get me wrong, it is perfect, just the way it is.  The cottage is quaint, cozy, and home to most of the best memories I have of growing up spending time with my family, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.

On 8/8/08 Paula and Matt got engaged at the beach!  I haven't been back since this visit.  How sad is that?!  They already celebrated their first anniversary!
As a child, my family and I used to pile into the van and drive the 18 hours east every summer in order to get there.  We normally stayed for two weeks and overlapped with my cousins visits, and it was heaven.  We had friends at the beach that we would play with.  We had met them when we were really young, introduced by our parents, who had most often played at the beach together as children.  We spent the days laying on the beach, reading book after book, building sand castles, digging to China, crabbing, and body surfing in the waves.  At night we were treated to Grandma's cooking and would all gather around the big table together.  If we were really lucky we got clam fritters, lobster, or blueberry cake.
Crabbing.  Matt even likes to get in on the fun.  


Each year we would have one "lobster" night.  Paula never eats the lobsters, but we still play with them before they are steamed and Paula normal names them all.  Yes, and then when they are put on our plates, she tells us who we are eating.  Good thing, I like lobster a lot. 

After dinner, we would go for a long walk on the beach or down to the breachway and then we would play cards.  Like I said, lots of good memories.  I had the good fortune of celebrating my birthday there most years because we would go during the first two weeks in August.  Lucky me! I know.  I can't think of a better birthday present each year.

This is Catherine and I when we celebrated my 24th birthday.
Now, Grandma has moved into a nursing home and the house has to be rented out, but my family still gets to go every summer.  I have not been able to get time off from work during the past two summers to get there, so you see, this is the longest I have ever gone in my life without being there.  I cannot wait to go this summer, smell the salty air, hang out with my family, and see my Grandma.  Like I said, its my favorite place in the world.

All the girls with Grams.



Taking a walk to East Beach.  


My parents at Watch Hill.



A shark washed up on the beach!!!


The Breachway

Heaven
Go to the link on the side of the page labeled "Cottage" to see more professional pictures and find information about renting the cottage and making some of your own great memories.

No comments: