"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolutions for Twenty Eleven

I feel like January 1st is a fresh new start.  It reminds me to set goals and dream a little.  As an athlete I have always set goals for myself and I like them to be easily measured.  That way I can say, I did it or I did not do it.  The "I tried" is not really what I'm shooting for.  I do the same thing every year on my birthday, I make a short-list of goals for the year and it helps me stay directed in my life and figure out where I want to go.   So here are my goals for this year...

1.  Get Healthy.  I felt like I was in the best shape of my life in October when I ran the marathon!  I was toned and felt amazing, then "the mono" struck and I was incredibly frustrated.  I didn't work out for almost two months because at first I was too tired, and then I was told not to get my heart rate up.  Now, however, I'm back on the workout train and ready to get in shape!  I haven't actually gained any weight, but I know that I lost a lot of muscle and endurance and I have gotten what I lovingly refer to as "squishy".  I want to get toned again and I want to feel good.  So here is the measurable part of the goal...I want to work out at least 5 days a week this year.  Two rest days a week will keep me balanced.  I'm not defining what a "workout" consists of because right now, it isn't much, and I don't want to limit myself later on in the year when I'm in super good shape (wishful thinking!).  I also am aiming to lose 10 pounds.  That is a way to help keep me on track and help measure my success.

2.  Spend less money on clothing.  I'm actually pretty good at saving money, but I do tend to buy a lot of clothing.  A lot more than I need at least!  I just cleaned out my closet (for the second time this year) and I have a huge pile of things to go to Good Will.  I am embarrassed to say that a few things even have tags on them still!!  Ahhh.   I don't buy expensive clothes, but I do buy a lot.  And I cannot resist a good deal.  This year I pledge to stay away from the malls and only buy what I really really need.  I'm even going to take some of my current stuff to the tailor so that I can still wear them without replacing the item.  If anyone in the area knows of a good tailor, please share with me!  (Sidenote:  I realize that there is no way to measure this goal.  (Oops)

3.  Run at least one half-marathon this year.  I would love to do another marathon, but a half would do.  I want to make sure I keep up my long distance running!

4.  Finish work on my house.  I bought a new townhome three years ago this past December.  I love it! and it truly has become home to me.  When I first moved in I bought the necessary furniture to live, painted most of it, and I have slowly decorated it so that it is becoming cozy and it reflects my personality. I stopped doing stuff around my house about a year ago and there is still a lot to do.

House To Do List:

  • Paint both upstairs bathrooms
  • Replace mirrors and light fixtures in the bathrooms
  • Get towels and bath mats (that actually match)
  • Hang a rod for coats in the front hall closet
  • Weather strip the front door
  • Hang curtains in my bedroom
  • Get a nightstand for my room
  • Hang curtains on the living room window
  • Organize the garage
  • Put a backsplash up in the kitchen (maybe)
  • Look around for bargains on granite or nice kitchen counters and see if I can redo mine (dream)
Now that I've written this list, I see how long it really is...Yikes!  I have my work cut out for me! But most of them seem doable.

5.  Get myself to Quonnie this summer!!

If this isn't motivation...I don't know what is.  

No comments: