"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Sunday, January 16, 2011

What I've been up to...

This weekend has been pretty busy for me, but thanks to NC for celebrating MLK with a day off, I still have time to relax!  No school 'til Tuesday!

On Thursday, I decided that I could not stand the "mustard-yellow" color of my master bathroom a minute longer.  Originally, when I moved in, the entire house was painted in this color.  I like bright yellow kitchens, and bright yellow living rooms, but this brown/yellow, was not good.  Within moving in, I had gotten rid of most of it by repainting the kitchen, living room, front hall, downstairs bath, bedrooms, and foyer within weeks of moving in.  But there were two pesky bathrooms that still remained in the awful color.  


The before pictures...

The bathroom has very little storage, only cabinets, and no drawers so I try to keep things organized, but it doesn't always work.

Nothing was coordinated, everything is just... there.

I could never decide which color went best with the yellow, so I ended up with a whole lot of mismatched accessories.

So, Friday night, I got to work.


  By Saturday evening there were two fresh coats of paint on the walls and accessories had been purchased.   The new paint is a gray/tan that I love!  And it even looks alright with the yellow/brown linoleum (obviously originally meant to match the yellow walls).  

The after pictures...



I found a basket at TJ Max for $4.99 to store my hair-dryer and straightener.  Good deal!

This ceramic pitcher is the first thing I bought on Friday.  I was sold the minute I saw it and I love it!  Its a good thing it was only $9.99!


The bath towels are a light turquoise and the hand towels are a mix of the light color with a darker shade.  I haven't decided if I like the big bath towels and I'm thinking of switching those to brown. 

The towels were all buy-one-get-one-free, after 40% off, at Kohl's.  Yes, mom, I agree.  That place is great.  There, I said it.  



I knocked two things off of my house to-do list for 2011!  

Is it too much turquoise?  Any advice?  What do you all think??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great! You must be in with the designers...I went into Kirklands and lots of the new stuff had the turquoise with earth tones. Very relaxing. M(J)

Lauren said...

Thanks!