"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Thursday, April 28, 2011

New Opportunities

This winter, as I was recovering from mono and trying to get myself back into shape I realized that being healthy and fit is really important to me.  I don't think I realized how much that was true until I didn't have it.  Last fall, when I trained for and ran my marathon I felt great.  Not just when I ran, but every day.  I was energetic (except for maybe the day of/after a long run), my stomach issues were gone, and I loved how fit my body felt.  Then, as we all know, I went straight downhill from there.  

I was frustrated with my own body.  Two mile runs became huge challenges, I felt shaky just standing up long enough to blow-dry my hair, and I slept more than I ever had.  At one point, before I knew what was wrong, I hit a low.  I was up visiting my family in Michigan and after sleeping ten hours and then going to a football game I felt horrible.  I was so frustrated with myself that I actually went in my sisters room, laid down and started crying.  I had no idea what was going on and I couldn't understand why I couldn't feel happy, fun and energetic and enjoy the time with my family. I felt feverish, shaky and tired.  Luckily, my mom and sisters came and found me and they lifted my spirits a lot.  The trip was fun and I'm so glad I went, but I was definitely not myself.  

The point of me explaining this is not to tell you how awful I felt.  But to tell you that I never want to feel like that again.  I am aware that getting mono was out of my control, but there are a lot of things that are in my control.  Since getting better, I have changed a few things.  

I now do my best to eat fresh fruits and veggies every day.  Living on my own, its tough to buy produce because I know it will go bad.  Crackers, granola bars, cereal, etc are so much easier to get because I know I will eat them before they go bad and if I don't...oh well, its not super expensive or smelly.  Now I am definitely still working on this, but I do my best to have fruit or veggies every single day (I even have little cans of V8 in case I slip-up).  I still have a long way to go, but I'm working on it.

I also workout daily now.  Before I worked out a lot, but it alternated days.  I would go really hard one day and then rest the next.  Now, I do a little bit each day to stay active.  Some days are rougher than others, but I make sure to get outside and do something every day, even if it is a 20 minute walk.

Finally, I drink a ton of water.  I think dehydration might have played a part in all of this, so I drink water like it is my job.  And yes, I pee like it is my job too.  Ask anyone, I use the restroom more often than my grandma.  But it's ok, I can deal with that.

Finally, the point to this post today...When I started trying to figure out how I could stay healthy and be fit I rediscovered my interest in nutrition and training (Dietetics was my original major for the first two years ofcollege).  I made the decision to study to become a personal trainer.  It just seemed to make sense and because I am a coach, the knowledge I gain from studying about training has hugely improved my skills.  I was using most of these things I learned about, but now I know the why behind it and I can understand which muscles are affected, which energy system, etc.  It also allowed me to learn more about health in general so I can apply it to myself.  The fact that I may be able to get a job doing this is just icing on the cake.

I started studying in mid-February and my goal was to take the test before May...Yesterday I took the test...And actually passed, making my deadline by 4 days. I am a Personal Trainer certified by ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine).  Wahooo!

I'm not sure where I'm going to go with it yet, but I'm looking into a few things and now that I know I have the credentials, I can get moving on it.  


2 comments:

Paula said...

YAY!!!! way to go sis... congrats again! very proud of you!

Lauren said...

Thanks Paula!