"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Weekend with the 'Rents

My parents got here Thursday night and after Derek and I picked them up at the airport, we headed to grab some dinner.

Friday, I went to school while they slept in...until 10:00am!  Good for them!  After school we took a long walk, toured some model homes and enjoyed the lovely weather.


After that, we met Derek, Dusty, Jan, Cameron, and Mandy for dinner.  It was so much fun to have everyone all together!  Everyone got along great and we had a blast.  We stopped for coffee afterwards and finally headed home.  (My mom is still kicking herself that she didn't get any pictures.  I agree.  It was a great photo opportunity, and we all forgot.  Oh well.)

Saturday we ran some errands and then I headed to the wedding, while my parents headed to my cousin Carol's house.  This is where the story gets exciting.  Apparently, while I was at the wedding, there were tornado warnings and watches all over the Raleigh area.  At the wedding, we noticed it got really dark and windy at one point, but we were inside the big church, so I kind of felt like I was in a bubble and didn't even worry about it.  After the wedding we came outside and realized that there were tornados - for real!

I called my parents in a panic to make sure they were alright, and they were, but they almost weren't.  They had been watching the news and knew about the weather scare, but decided to head to my relatives' house anyway, thinking that they would "beat" the storm.  So they headed out.  Halfway there, Carol (the cousin, not my mom. I know it can get confusing) called my parents and said they should turn around, because a tornado was spotted in their area.  My parents decided to continue on (?!) and my dad told my mom to "look for funnel clouds".  My mom decided she would rather not see them, so she was not going to look for them, and she instructed my dad to just "drive faster."  Anyway, they made it safe and sound, and arrived at my relative's house but no one would answer the door - they were in the crawl space.  Needless to say, they were very lucky!  And they enjoyed a nice dinner by candle light.

The wedding was beautiful and we had a great time!  Karen and Guy both looked great, and the ceremony and reception were so nice!  Even though the weather for the wedding was so stormy, by the time we got to the reception, the skies were blue and the sun was shining.


On Sunday, we checked out the flea market, bought some pretty cool stuff (more on that later) and then stopped at Boylan Bridge Brewpub for lunch in downtown Raleigh.  They have a huge outdoor seating area and I do have to say, the food was really good!  The last time I went there, it wasn't great, but the outdoor seating is so nice that I didn't mind...they have made some changes, for the better.  It was delicious!!



It has a great view of the Raleigh skyline too.
We drove around Raleigh for a little bit and we were shocked by some of the damage that we saw from Saturday's storms.  I still can't believe how lucky we all are.  The storms were really bad, a lot of people lost homes and some people were seriously injured, and we all ended up just fine.  Very lucky and very thankful.



This was taken right in Moore Square.
After that we headed to do some shopping :)  yes, that was a common theme of the weekend.  And then back home.  Sunday night Derek came over, we grilled out, and played Monopoly deal.  Coincidentally, we each won one hand.

Monday, we headed to the coast to look at some real estate and to go for a walk on the beach. 



And today, my dad flew out early and after a long walk around the lake my mom and I went shopping!  (40% off EVERYTHING at Loft, for anyone who is interested!) We stopped to see Derek one last time and then headed to the airport.  :(



I was so happy that I got to spend some time with my parents.  Other than Saturday, the weather was gorgeous and we had a lot of fun.  I'm going to miss them a ton!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time Friday...just one little problem: I am now addicted to Garrett's popcorn! Thanks Carol and Bob for sharing that part of Chicago! M(J)

Lauren said...

It's good! - isn't it?! Glad you had fun, we did as well!

Paula said...

sounds like it was a great weekend!!!

Carol said...

We had a wonderful time. Thank you Lauren so much!!! You are a wonderful hostess. Hard to get back to reality,( frost on the lawn this morning)!!