"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Thursday, June 2, 2011

100 Things About Me: Part 2

I hope I haven't lost everyone yet.  Thank you for your suggestions of things to write about!  It's definitely helping me.  100 is a lot of things!

Here we go...

26. In college I joined the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I have actually met a lot of ladies who are also Kappas and its a fun little bond.  My sister was a Kappa too, and yes, we have a secret handshake :)

27.  I love to coach swimming.  I have been coaching for 7 years now.  It keeps me busy, but I don't feel like it's a job because I love to do it.  I learned so much from my past coaches that I am inspired to try to pass that along.

28.  I don't like spicy foods.  I just can't handle them - I have no tolerance at all.  I have to drink a gallon of water with mild salsa and yes, the waiter's roll their eyes at me if I order mild wings...I won't even try medium.

29.  I absolutely hated the smell of coffee growing up and never drank it.

30.  I am now a coffee lover.  I need a cup in the morning, otherwise I don't feel like I ever truly wake up. I can't drink it at night though.

31.  I prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee to Starbucks.

32.  My favorite coffee is Island Coconut (keurig).  Try it!

33.  I am an incredibly light sleeper.  It takes me forever to fall asleep and I normally wake up a few times during the night.  I would say its the coffee, but I can't, it's been like this my entire life...grrr.

34.  I love to run...when I'm in shape.  And I love being in running shape, I just wish it happened more often.  It is my stress-reliever, my "me" time, and my planning time, all in one.  If I haven't run in a while, chances are, I'm going to feel really off.

35.  I have always loved real estate.  I like to look at ads in the paper, look at websites online, and watch HGTV shows.  I have even been known to go to open houses on the weekends just for fun.

36.  It was on one of these weekends that I found my house.  I bought my house at 23.  Lots of people told me I was crazy, but I think it was the best investment I have ever made.  The market was down, I got a good deal, and hopefully (fingers crossed) it will pay off whenever I try to sell it.



37.  On that note, don't hire me as a handy man.  I often attempt DIY projects, and I am successful at some (mainly painting and decorating), but I am awful at others (hanging anything - I never follow the instructions).

38.  Before I move my house will, most likely, have to be painted professionally.  I would like to think that is just because of the normal wear and tear/marks that show up because it is a lived-in house, but it is more because I am not a perfectionist.

39.  I have a huge sweet tooth.  My favorite foods as a child were gummy bears, gummy worms, swedish fish, gum drops, etc.  You get the idea.  Now I'm much more into chocolate, but I still love the gummy candies.  Weird, I know.

40.  I am lucky enough to have a great group of friends that I have known forever.  They know me better than  most and we are all extremely different, but we have so much fun when we are together.  Coincidentally, two of the three live within a three hour drive from me.

The four of us.
41.  I love the beach.  I have always preferred the beach to any other place.  There is something so peaceful, yet so powerful about the ocean.  It makes you seem so insignificant, yet so invincible, all at once.  The sound of the waves crashing is an amazing sound to fall asleep to.



42.  I also love road trips.  Especially when I have a good friend in the car.  We used to drive from Chicago to Rhode Island each summer and while I didn't love every minute of it, it was fun family time.  I also drove to Raleigh and back before I moved here with my Andrea.  It was a blast.  On the way home we went off the highway, followed some back roads we found in the atlas and had a bit of an adventure.

Andrea, at a rest stop/overlook on our Raleigh road trip.


43.  If you are going to road trip with me, you will have to deal with taking frequent bathroom breaks.  I like to drink caffeine while I drive and well...that's just how it goes.  No need to be in a hurry, just enjoy the experience.

44.  I hate spiders and snakes.  I really hate them.  Creepy!

45.  I cannot handle watching scary movies.  ET gave me nightmares.  It still does, too.

46.  I secretly like Real Housewives shows.  I will watch New York if I have time and sometimes the OC. I also like Bethany Ever After. New Jersey, Miami Housewives are just OK.  I could take 'em or leave 'em.

47.  I love the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows.  Yes, I know that it's not real life and they rarely end up together, but I can't help but watch.

48.  One of my neighbors at my first house in Raleigh had a step-father who was a swim coach in Charlotte.  He is the person that put me in contact with my current swim team/employer.  I wasn't planning on coaching much when I first moved down here.  I thought I would settle in and then start the following summer.  I started the Tuesday following Labor Day in 2007!  So much for easing my way in.

49.  I started coaching at the exact time I started teaching.  Many people told me I was crazy and that I would get burnt out (whoops).  Two months after I started coaching, the nicest pool I have ever seen opened in my town.  Wowza.  Our team started practicing there, and now I get to go there every day.

That's me coaching in the right-hand corner! This is from the local paper.
50.  I met Derek at that pool a few months later.  We were sitting at the computer table (timing station?) after a high school dual meet and I was waiting for my results.  He started making small talk.  After that, I saw him every now and then when he would come around and stop by to say "hi" while I was coaching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The news and disturber has used that photo at least a dozen times. I Had no idea that was YOU! M(J)

Lauren said...

Really?! I only thought it was used once, and Derek had to point it out to me. I would never have noticed. But it is a cool picture.