"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Review: The Help

I had heard a lot about this book on TV lately and from a few friends, mainly because the movie is coming out soon.  I gave it a shot because I absolutely hate seeing the movie before the book anytime both of them exist.  Basically, if I was ever going to see the movie, I had to read the book first, and the previews were pretty intriguing...I want to see that movie.

source

I LOVED IT!

It was different, witty, clever, and had me wrapped up in the story from the first page.  The writing style was very unique and at times the grammar was not "correct" but it was all a part of helping you see the characters and hear their different dialects.  The character development was intense, using both descriptions, and anecdotes to draw you in.  

On the whole, I was impressed.  I thought it would be alright, considering everyone was talking about it, but I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was.  If you haven't tried it, I recommend it.  Overall, a very fun, easy summer read.

The only thing I wish it would have included is more character development with some of the male characters.  They were in the story, but they were not detailed.  It was almost as if they are these blurry images off to the sides of the scene.  

Has anyone else read it?  What did you think?



1 comment:

Paula said...

i just bought it to read! going to start it on my flight on friday :-)