"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

DIY: Headboard

I was a little bored last week.  I only coach in the afternoons, and I am used to being busy.  Really busy.  Lately I've had quite a bit of free time and a girl can only workout and shop so much.  My bank account is not loving the shopping and I put a stop to it pretty quickly.

This past week I decided to make a headboard.  My bedroom is a great cozy little place, but it is a mishmash of furniture, meaning that I don't have an actual headboard, but rather just a mattress and box spring next to a wall. I was noticing last week that it resembles the room of a much "younger" person.  And yes, I was in the mood for a grown-up looking room.  Anyway, I decided to make my own headboard to remedy the situation...

I googled it a little and found out that it would not be that difficult or that expensive.

Materials:
Plywood board 3ft x 2.5 ft.
Quilting batting
3 yards of Fabric (I was going to go with burlap because I wanted the natural look, but it smelled so bad! so I went with a tan linen fabric.)
Staple gun and staples
Bronze tacs (400 of them!)

The batting and the fabric.
First I took the quilting batting, folded it over to make it more cushy, and stapled it to cover one side of the wood, including the edges.

              
After that, I laid the fabric down, flipped the wood over so that the batting was next to the fabric and pulled the fabric tight around the board.  I stapled the fabric down.

 After that, I flipped it over again and it was time for the finishing touches.  I had to hammer the tacs around three edges of the board.





Here is the finished product.  I put it on two 1x2's to help prop it up behind the bed.


Its not perfect, but I like it.  Here are the before and after's of my bedroom...

Before:

After:

I took down the hanging wall art, took the duvet cover off my white comforter and just left it like that.  I would eventually like to find something to put above the bed (sunburst mirror?) and get a new duvet cover, but for now, I like it a lot!!

4 comments:

carol said...

very clever!! I like it alot. you make it look easy. I know how hard it is to hammer all of those tacks in.

Paula said...

i love it!!! and it looks awesome! i think i might attempt this... :-) what size is your bed?

Lauren said...

Thanks!! Mom- it was hard! I hammered my thumb a few times too. Paula - I have a queen size bed and you should give it a shot! (but I like your headboard you already have!).

Lisa Pomares said...

Hi Lauren, this is the first time I go on your page and I love it.

Your headboard idea is super neat. I recently sold my entire bedroom set because it was a bit too bulky for me. So now I was actually looking for a frame to put it in.

This headboard could help me save some room and even inspired my husband to help me create it.

Thanks again! :)

Check out my blog sometime www.unbeadlievabledesigns.blogspot.com