"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Monday, July 18, 2011

It All Begins Again

Today I ran 10 miles.

It was my test for myself to see if I think I can get ready for a marathon in October.

I did it.  I felt great!  And I think I'm ready to go.

The marathon is the Detroit Free Press Marathon on October 16, 2011.  I have 13 weeks to get myself in tip-top shape.  During that time, I may very well hate that I've chosen to do this again, but for the most part, I am excited!


Last year I ran my first marathon and it was hard, it was inspiring, and yes, it was awful at times, but it gave me confidence.  I realized that my body can do crazy things.  Things that I would never imagine possible.  26.2 miles.  You go crazy by about mile 22...but it's a good kind of crazy (ha, I say that now).


I've been thinking about this for a while because my sister will be running this marathon and I would love to do this with her.  I haven't really been sure if I'm ready, so today was a big test for me.  I got up early this morning and rummaged around in my very dirty closet in my very messy room and I found my water belt.  I had to have it with me for a confidence booster today.  I washed it out and headed off.  The weather was nice, about 75 degrees and sunny, but I stayed in the shade.

Cath and I.
I planned on going 9 miles, as it says on my training plan.  I moved it to today and headed out.  I got 4.5 miles out and said, "What the H-?".  I felt good and kept going to mile 5.  Believe it or not, I was actually picking up the pace on the way back and I probably looked pretty goofy because I had a huge grin on my face.

I haven't run that far since the last marathon.  Since getting sick, I have still been working to build my mileage back up and I've been scared to push myself.  I know I'm fine now and I'm so excited.  It felt so good to do a long run again (don't get me wrong - it still hurt a lot too!).  Hopefully I can stay on track and be able to run in October.

Oh, by the way, I came right home, showered and cleaned my room.  I had to.  It was so bad!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super Lauren! You and Catherine will keep each other motivated and held accountable. Good start! m(j)

Lauren said...

Thanks Jan! I hope so!

mom said...

Keep it going and I will be there to cheer you on!!

Lauren said...

Thanks mom, I can't wait!