"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Friday, August 12, 2011

Another Year

Tomorrow is my birthday.  Yay!!  I will be 27.  Wow.  That feels OLD! 

In my family we have always treated birthday’s with extra care, it is the one day that you get to feel special.  And I might be biased, but I think that my birthday’s were always the best.  In August, school was always out (so I never had to worry about that) and for the first 20 years of my life or so, we were usually at the beach in Rhode Island to celebrate my birthday.  It was amazing!  Who wouldn’t want a family beach vacation to correspond with their birthday?!  I have great memories of my grandma cooking her blueberry cake for dessert and blowing out the candles with everyone - grandparents, sisters, parents, cousins, aunts, and uncles - sitting around the huge table in the cottage. 

This will be the first birthday ever that I don’t get to see my parents.  Wow.  That’s actually pretty lucky seeing as I will be 27 and this hasn’t happened before now.   My parents and Catherine sent me some things earlier this week and they have been sitting in my kitchen since MONDAY torturing me.  I am under specific instructions to not open them until my actual birthday.  I think I can handle that…

Even though I won’t see my parents this weekend, lucky for me, my sister and brother-in-law are coming to visit today and they are staying all weekend! 

Meet Paula and Matt.
249373_10100811848401110_1909968_65726505_1980592_n

22332_975163507370_1944751_54430324_5783667_n
I love this picture.

So yesterday I went grocery shopping to get ready for their visit (I cannot let them come visit me with an empty pantry/fridge!) and I decided to splurge and get myself a little present.  I’m allowed to do that, right?  Do you remember those mason jars I bought at the flea market a few weeks ago?  I just had to put some flowers in them…

photophoto (1)
                                                        
And I had a $1.00 off coupon for PEOPLE, so you better believe I came home with some magazines. These will be perfect for lying by the pool this weekend with Paula (I hope the weather stays nice! Cross your fingers for us, please!). 

photo (2)
                                                               
So I might be getting older and soon I will no longer be able to say mid-twenties…  But that’s ok.  I’m very happy with where I am, how I’m living my life, and all the wonderful people I have surrounding me. 

photo (3)
…And just because I’m old, it doesn’t mean I can’t act like a 5 year old every now and then… Smile

2 comments:

Paula said...

yay!!!! acting like a 5 year old is perfectly acceptable :-) thanks so much for having us! we had an awesome trip and loved celebrating your bda with you in person!!! if you didn't notice stole your magazines for the plane trip home!

Lauren said...

I noticed. It is perfectly fine. Thank you for coming! I had a blast, as well.