"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Friday, August 26, 2011

Coconut Shrimp

I always loved coconut shrimp.  Take me to a seafood restaurant and I look for it on the menu first.  When I came across the recipe for coconut chicken on Our Best Bites, a food blog I look at on occasion, I gave it a try. I just made a few substitutions.  Instead of chicken, I used shrimp and instead of bread crumbs, I used crushed Wheat Thins.  (I forgot the bread crumbs at the store and didn't feel like going back - it worked though!)  I also left out a few of the ingredients because, well, I just didn't have them.  Luckily, it turned out well!

It was pretty easy too!

To start, preheat the oven to 450 and start by combining these ingredients in a bowl.

1 cup sweeted coconut flakes (you can chop these to make them smaller)
1 cup bread crumbs (this is where my crushed wheat thins came into play)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp cayene pepper (even I liked the kick this gave it)




Crack one egg in a bowl and set it out with the bowl of coconut mix.  Beat the egg.


Dip the shrimp into the egg first to coat it, then place it in the coconut mix and put it on a greased cookie sheet.


Bake them for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.


They were delicious!!  I had some left over coconut mix, so I sliced up a zuccini, coated it just like the shrimp, and baked them for 5 minutes.  I think they might have been better than the shrimp!



Any other easy meals for me to try?

1 comment:

mom said...

I'm impressed!!