"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Training for Life

source

The other day when I was about to start my run on the Tobacco trail I overheard a conversation nearby.  An older woman asked a runner who had obviously just finished a long, intense run, "what are you training for?"  It seemed like a reasonable question to me, but I was surprised and intrigued by her answer.  She said, "I'm training for life."  hmmmm.  I'm still not sure how to take that answer, and I really don't know how she meant it (remember, I was just eavesdropping), but I think there are lots of different interpretations and in reality, it's probably a good idea to want to be in good shape just "because".  I actually thought about this for a bit on my run today. Obviously, I'm training for the marathon, but there are a lot of other things I'm training for too; health, weight management, a feeling of accomplishment, energy, etc.

This morning was a long run so it's good I had some things to think about.  These mornings are always hard for me.  I know that they are exciting, and very necessary for my training, but before you've started, a long run can be a daunting task.  Sometimes, I drag my feet a little on these mornings.  For example, I woke up at 6:15 today but didn't actually make it to the trail until 7:45. I made a new playlist yesterday and I decided before I began that I was not going to watch my pace.  If I was going too slow, I didn't even want to know.

Lucky for me, I eventually made it to the trail and it went well! I finished 15 miles in 2 hours and 42 minutes.  I averaged about a 10:48 pace.  Not awful - I'll take it!!  Now I am lying on the couch and hydrating until this afternoon.  I might even get a nap in.