"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Friday, September 16, 2011

A Whole New Outlook

source


Last night I met Derek for dinner after work and upon walking into the restaurant, it was maybe 70 degrees and drizzling lightly.  Two hours later when we walked out, the temperature had dropped to about 55 and it was windy - freezing to me after a summer of 90+ weather!  

So this morning came and I woke up and went for a run... in long sleeves!  Just last week I was running in 90 degree weather and today, I was chilly in my long sleeves.  The cold weather stuck around all night long.  I ended up doing a pretty comfortable and quick five miles, so I eventually warmed up, but not until around mile 3.  It was weird to be running, breathing cool air, and actually having sweat wicked from my skin instead of being soaked 10 minutes in.  As weird as it was, I have to admit, it was pretty wonderful.  

Just last night I was thinking about how I had very little desire to run these days.  Almost none.  Between my new job where I am on my feet for 5 hours at a time, the crick in my neck that just doesn't seem to want to go away, and wanting to use my free time for, well, other things, I had not been keeping up my training.  What was worse, I didn't really care.  

I'm still not sure where I am in my training, but I can tell you that after this mornings run, I feel refreshed.  I'm looking forward to my next run now and I was actually upset that the end of 5 miles came so quickly.  If I hadn't of had a meeting today, I might have turned around and done it again! 

I think it might be fair to say that Fall is peeking it's head around the corner.  I'm not dumb enough to think that this will stick around for long, but it makes me excited for when it does.  

No comments: