"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Monday, October 17, 2011

State Fair


Last Friday night, after much convincing, Derek and I headed to the NC State Fair!!  This is one of the traditions I have gotten attached to quickly down here.  I have not missed a fair since I moved to Raleigh.  I was in love at first sight with this place...the fried foods, the happy families, the pig races, the fireworks...I love it all!


See as Friday was my only night off of coaching and we were busy both weekends, it was the only night we could go.  We knew it was going to be crowded, but we went anyway - and it was everything I'd hoped for, and more.  Derek told me that I turn into 5 year old Lauren at the fair, and I would have to agree with that.



Last year's pumpkin was much more bigger, but the watermelon was from Garner!
We did pretty good with the food, making sure we hit up the corn dogs and ham biscuits, then we finished off our meal with some fried reese's cups.  YUM.


We each played a few games.  I stuck to the darts and Derek shot hoops.  Shockingly, we both won!




I know the fair brings out the crazies (myself, included) and it is crowded and dirty, but it's also one of the few times we get to see families hanging out together, having fun enjoying each other's company without a TV, cell phone, or video game (gosh, I sound like I'm 80 years old going on like that, but it's true!).  It just doesn't happen all that often anymore.  Kids were running around laughing, we saw older couples strolling holding hands - everyone was just so content.  I can't help but love it.

At the fountain.




Finally we headed out. Another successful trip to the fair.


...And we had a new friend riding home with us in the truck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish you had a picture of the deep fried reeces. I need to know just how many extra miles I gotta do for that tomorrow! m(j)