"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hidden Blessings

This past weekend I road tripped north, up to Chicago for a funeral.  The funeral service was beautiful.  I am so glad I was there to experience it, support my friend, and be a part of the celebration of his life.

Immediately, when I heard the news last week, I wanted and needed to be there to support my friend and to remember this great man.  I think the event in general brought about a bunch of mixed emotions for me.  I can't imagine what it is like to lose a parent. It made me want to see my own parents, in person, immediately.  I wanted to hug them and I wanted to spend time with them because events like this make everyone realize how uncertain the future is.

Luckily, I have those two friends in South Carolina; Sarah and Andrea.  Remember them?  They were just as adamant as I was about making it back up there, so we decided to drive up together.  This is where the hidden blessings come in...

How often, as an adult, do you get 16 uninterrupted hours to hang out and chat with two of your closest friends?  If you're us, not a whole lot.  We have tried for the past few months to coordinate schedules and have another girls weekend, but it just hasn't happened.  This past weekend, we got to be together.  Not only were we together, but we were together at a time when there were lots of deep thoughts going through our minds, when we were questioning how best to support our friend, and when we were all counting our blessings.  It was the "silver lining" of the weekend, if that is even possible.






We got a bit silly because that's what we do.





We talked about our parents, we talked about our families, our careers, our future hopes and dreams, and we reminisced...a lot.  We were all reminded of what really mattered and we got to enjoy some very quality time together.

Take a minute today to think of the people who have influenced your life.  Make sure to thank them.  Go ahead and call your loved ones and tell them you love them.  It's important!

No comments: