"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Flying without an ID

It is possible to fly nowadays without a picture ID.  I learned this one the hard way.  Yesterday, about three hours before I was set to leave for the airport, I discovered that my license was missing.  The last time I could remember having it was on my flight to Chicago 4 days prior.  I looked through everything.  We tore apart my already packed suitcase, checked every pocket I had, scoured both cars, and had everyone in the house helping with no luck.

So, off we went to the airport.  Like I said before, it is possible to fly without an ID, you just have to be willing to undergo a very thorough security check.  I'm not really sure I understand why the lack of photo ID ups the likelihood that you will have explosives on you, but it seems that is all they were concerned about.  I not only did a full body scan, but I was also patted down and my clothes, as well as carry on items and some of the things inside of them were wiped with the little cloth and checked for chemicals.  Luckily, the lady helping me was very nice and as soon as they realized I was no threat to security, they sent me on my merry way.

Anyway, moral of the story - don't lose your photo ID before you fly.

In case you were wondering...I went to check the mail today and found this weird envelope without a return address.  I thought it was some sort of weird small, thick Christmas card, but it was not.  Lo and behold...there, was my ID, with a sticky note attached...


The note reads "Found this in the Jewel/Osco parking lot in South Elgin, IL."  You see, after picking me up from the airport last week, my father and I had stopped at the grocery store to get some last minute Christmas dinner preparations and I must have dropped it.

I am very thankful that there is a good person out there who was nice enough to help me out and return my lost ID.  I will be much more careful in the future.

Tis the Season to be Merry!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Good to know! Lucky you!

mom said...

pay it forward.