"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gingerbread Houses

This past weekend Derek and I made our gingerbread house.  In my family, we have always done the homemade ones, out of graham crackers frosting, and whatever candy we could find.  Derek's family has used the kits.  His parents gave us a kit to use this year and I was so excited. I though that would be perfect for Derek because he is quite particular about some things.   Homemade projects being some of them.  I am of the "whatever happens, happens" mentality.  Derek likes everything to be perfect.  As you can probably suggest, his projects turn out looking much more professional than mine.  And I am ok with that. I am no perfectionist.

There is also a joke in his family that your relationship is not totally solid until you have been able to build a gingerbread house together and survive it.  (Hmmmm, this personality trait of D's might just run in the family...)  Lucky for me, I'm pretty laid back and I had no doubts.

We opened up the box and unfortunately the gingerbread in the kit had cracked and the frosting was hard as a rock.  My fool proof plan to get Derek a "perfect" ginger bread house faded fast.  The kit was out.  I offered to head out to the store for some more frosting, the graham crackers, and a few spice drops.  Derek seemed skeptical, but played along. 

After about 20 minutes of hard work and some creative decorations, here is the final product...



I'm probably pretty biased, but I think it's adorable.  
Hopefully it won't be raining sprinkles again anytime soon, because that roof is not very rainproof.


Make sure you take a look at the front door, the bushes, and the snow on the ground (some really stale marshmallows) and just for fun, Derek added some dog poop in the yard (chocolate covered coffee beans he had in the fridge).   And that pile of candies on the right is a flower garden, in case you couldn't tell. 

I was pretty proud of our little project.  We had a lot of fun making it and as you can see, Derek even got the creative juices flowing to help add to the decor.  I am also happy to report that the relationship is still in tact :)

In other news, we got this in the mail the other day. I'm fairly certain that Corey made them!  They are so adorable.  Excellent work, Corey! 


The arrival of the first Christmas cards of the season was a major kick in the butt for me to get moving.  It's a good thing too, because now my Christmas cards are all now in the mail on the way to you!


Have I mentioned lately that Christmas is my favorite?!

2 comments:

Corey said...

Thanks Lauren! They were super easy to make if you want to give it a shot sometime. Also, my gingerbread train was the same way, so I used leftover icing from the Oreo Turkey cookies, 'glued' the broken piece back together with icing, and hid the broken piece of the train in the back!

Lauren said...

Thanks Corey! I loved your train!