"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Holiday Plates

While I was at home, my mom and sister showed me how to make plain plates into unique colorful gifts using fabric and modge-podge.  They had done it before for a bachelorette party of one of Paula's friends.  That was back while I was in college and couldn't care less about DIY craft projects, so clearly, I did not take part, nor pay attention.  I should have.

Thankfully, they decided to do it again.  And I got to watch and help.  My mom wanted to make some holiday plates, so we picked out some holiday fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics.  My mom works a lot, but somehow finds time to back cookies each year and send them off to our neighbors and friends with cute little cards and always in some crafty little package.   These plates are her cute little packages for this year.

The materials...

Clear plates (we found them at Meijer for cheap, but Walmart would possibly work as well)


We mixed it up and got both circular and square plates to try.

Modge Podge for Fabric

Fabric in 9 inch squares (our plates were 9 inches wide)


Paint brushes and Rubber or latex gloves

How we did it....

Make sure you wash the plates first.  You don't want any dust or sticky residue on them.


Then, trace the plate about a 1/4 inch larger than the actual plate and cut out the fabric.



Then, paint the modge podge on the good side of the fabric, just to coat it.


Place the modged-podged side of the fabric onto the bottom of the plate and paint another layer of modge-podge on the other side of the fabric.  When you're done painting, use your gloved hands to rub out all of the air bubbles and make sure the fabric is smooth.


It takes a while to make sure all of the air bubbles are gone.  Every time I thought I was done I would flip it over and find more.  We put it on a soup can to keep it elevated while we worked.

After that, we left the plates on the soup cans and put them in the basement to dry for 24 hours.

They turned out great!!


We used razor blades to clean up the edges of the fabric that wear hanging off the plate.  When it was dry, they scraped off easily.  They aren't dishwasher safe, but I would love a few of these to have at the holidays!

Kudos to my mom and sister for having the idea and teaching me how to do it.  We had a blast making them.

What do you think?  Do you have any holiday crafts I can try?

No comments: