"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup

I tried another recipe in the crockpot the other day. Broccoli cheese soup was perfect for our chilly day.

6 cups of broccoli
1 cup of shredded carrots
1/2 cup of large onion (chopped)
2 cups chicken broth
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup flour
2 cups whole milk or half and half
2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese

First I put the broccoli right in the crockpot. Then I browned the onions for about a minute then threw the carrots in the pan with them to cook a bit.



After that I put the, all in the crock pot with the garlic and the chicken broth. I added a little bit of pepper and cooked it on high for an hour and a half.


When this was done, I took about half of the veggies out and put them in the blender to get rid of some of the chunks, then added the blended mixture right back to the crockpot.  When that was done, in a separate bowl,I mixed the flour and milk and whisked it together with the nutmeg. I added that to the crockpot and let it cook for another 45 minutes on low.




During the last 45 minutes I slowly added the cheddar cheese and mixed it up, letting it melt.


After that it was good to go.  I made so much I actually froze a bunch of it.  As for the taste, I liked it, but I'm not sure that I loved it.

No comments: