"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Getting in Shape






Finally, I will admit it for all of you to hear...

I have signed up for the 2012 Chicago Marathon!

Why does this make me nervous? Why did I wait two months to share this? Well...if you remember, back in the late summer/fall of 2011 I trained for the Detroit marathon, but gave up about a month before the big race.  I want to run Chicago so badly! - but I know that I need to commit to it.  So y'all are going to help me stay accountable.  I'm doing alright so far.  

I have been upping my running ever since I took the break in January to help my foot heal.  I am up to running 4 days a week and my mileage is increasing.  My foot still hurts a little, but it doesn't hurt any more when I run, so I am trudging along anyway.  I started off running every other day (which was actually only about 3 times per week) and at a pretty slow pace.  I am now up to running 4 consecutive days at a faster pace.  I am planning on starting some longer runs this month.


Source: shape.com via Lauren on Pinterest


My current plan:  To spend the next month and a half getting in the best shape possible.  I don't want to start any long runs (nothing over 12) yet because I don't want to burn out too early.  I am running often and doing lots of strength training and stretching to help out.  I also want to drop a little bit of weight (about 5 pounds) and make sure that I am my fittest self. 

On June 1, I will begin a four month marathon training program that will have me ready for 26.2 on October 7, 2012.  Yay!!

I will document some of my workouts on here and let you know about my progress.  I have a long way to go, but I am so excited!!

No giving up this time.  :)

3 comments:

mom said...

So excited for you and know you will do well!! I will be your biggest cheerleader!!! Love you

Paula said...

yay!!! so glad you're finally coming out with this news and its not a secret anymore :-) you will do great! and its means i'll get to see you!!!

Lauren said...

Thank you! love you two!