"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places." Roald Dahl

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Quinoa'n'Cheese

I just made quinoa for the first time last week and I admit, I'm a little late to hop on this trend.  I've been hearing about this stuff for a while now.  How great it is, it's healthy, it's fun to cook with, etc.  Last week I made it and added chopped peppers, onions, garlic powder and lemon juice.  It was good, but I wanted to try it again with a real recipe.


I pinned the Quinoa Mac N Cheese a few weeks ago because it looked so darn good.  On Monday, I had a little bit of time to myself as I had been banned from the pool (more on that in a minute) and needed something to do that didn't include spending money or soaking up rays.  I made the mac'n'cheese and it was super easy!




Side Story:  I have some crazy running tan lines and I have been waiting for this three day weekend to lounge at the pool and get rid of these tan lines for weeks!  Saturday I got to the pool and realized that I had forgotten my sunscreen (horrible, I know!!) but I was already there and unpacked and it was 3 in the afternoon.  I knew I wouldn't be able to stay for long, so I just hoped that I wouldn't burn.  No. Such. Luck.  I fried.  And it's only in the spots that aren't already tan from running so it is all quite comical.  And it was a little painful for a day or two.  Anyway, I have banned myself from the pool for the remainder of the weekend until the burn is gone.  I also went out and bought two bottles of sunscreen so that this debacle won't happen again.  There you have it.

Back to the Quinoa'n'Cheese...I have heard great things about quinoa, but I wanted to know exactly what was good about it...so I googled it :).  "Quinoa is a grain-like crop grown primarily for it's edible seeds...As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds." That is straight from Wikipedia.  It comes from the Andean Region of South America and is derived from the Quechua word "kinwa".   It has essential amino acids, lysine, and lots of calcium, phosphorus, and iron.  The reason I wanted to try it out is that it is high in protein as well.  Thank you Wikipedia.

To me, that beats the normal macaroni component.

Anyway, I thought I would give it a try.  It is so good!  And so easy.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese



Visit the orginial website for exact instructions at aroundthetableri.blogspot.com but I will also share with how I did it...

1.  Prepare quinoa as normal.  (it takes about 20 minutes)
2.  Wisk milk and eggs in a large bowl.
3.  Add in 1/2 the cheese, then the cooked quinoa, then the rest of the cheese and stir!
4.  Add the mixture to a coated pan (I used a 9 x 9 casserole dish).
5.  Pop in the oven at 350 for 35 minutes.

Yummy!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some of this stuff in the pantry! I want to try this. Oh, and nice use of the word debacle. I like saying that word. m(j)

Lauren said...

Haha, I like that word too! And let me know what you think...It's definitely not the same taste as mac'n'cheese, but I still liked it!

Cassie said...

That looks delicious – when are you cooking me dinner? ;)

carol said...

debacle is kind of like behoove, or boocoo!! I love those words.

Lauren said...

haha, Cassie - we should hang out soon!

Mom - I was just telling someone the other day how much you love those words! I don't think I had ever seen boocoo spelled until now...